Penn State just one game to play before finding out its bowl fate. Sounds easy, right?
Not so much.
Projections for the Nittany Lions’ postseason appearance remain scattered, albeit with a few consistent themes.
Right now most analysts have Michigan winning out, winning the Big Ten and securing a spot in the College Football Playoff. That would mean a win over Ohio State this weekend, which would still result in a Rose Bowl berth for the Buckeyes. The Rose Bowl this year will be the classic Big Ten vs. Pac 12 matchup no matter what happens with playoff berths. A Big Ten team will not play in the Sugar Bowl this year.
Beyond that, though, things are a little murky in the Big Ten. Conference bowl tie-ins run:
- Citrus Bowl vs. ACC or SEC (Orlando, Fla.)
- Outback Bowl vs. SEC (Tampa, Fla.)
- San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. Pac-12 (San Diego, Calif.)
- Taxslayer Bowl vs. SEC (Jacksonville, Fla.) OR Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl vs. SEC (Nashville, Tenn.)
- New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. ACC (New York, NY)
- RedBox Bowl vs. Pac-12 (Santa Clara, Calif.)
- Quick Lane Bowl vs. ACC (Detroit, Mich.)
- SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs. C-USA (Dallas, Texas)
The Fiesta and Peach Bowls have no direct tie-ins, but the highest-ranked champion from a non-Power 5 conference will automatically get a spot in one of those two games if not selected for the College Football Playoff.