Connect with us

Penn State Nittany Lions

Penn State men’s soccer falls in the the Big Ten Quarterfinal to Michigan | Penn State Ice Hockey News | Daily Collegian

After drawing 1-1 earlier in the year in Ann Arbor, Penn State returned in hopes of finishing what it started and grab a win in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament.

They couldn’t do that though as the Nittany Lions fell 3-1, ending their hopes for a Big Ten Championship.

The first 15 minutes was relatively quiet for both team, but that changed in the following minutes when each keeper was forced to make a save off of a corner kick, but the game remained scoreless through the first twenty minutes.

Michigan was able to break through for the first goal of the game in the 28th minute off of a throw in. Marcello Borges launched the ball into the box off of a long throw in, which Umar Farouk Osman was able to control, finish, and put the Wolverines ahead.

The Nittany Lions were able to get a goal of their own with three minutes before the half as Ryan Gallagher’s first goal of the season was able to tie the game with an assist by Callum Pritchett off the corner. The Nittany Lions forced a few consecutive corners and were able to take advantage of the opportunity to get a crucial goal heading into halftime.

The tie wouldn’t last for long as Farouk Osman once again gave the Wolverines the lead, this time seven minutes into the second half. Jack Hallahan sent in a cross from a corner and Osman was able to find the back of the net for his ninth goal on the season, and second of the afternoon.

The Wolverines came out firing in the second half, be awarded five corner kicks within the first ten minutes of the second half.

Penn State really struggled coming out of the half as they weren’t able to record a shot in the first fifteen minutes of the second half. With Osman’s two goals, the Nittany Lions struggled to contain him, as he accounted for three of their 4 shots on goal through two-thirds of the game.

Michigan had twelve corner kicks with fifteen minutes remaining, which showed how dangerous the Wolverine attack had been all afternoon. Despite those twelve corner kicks, the Wolverines only led by one still.

That was until Jack Hallahan’s 8th goal of the season gave Michigan a two-goal lead with 10 minutes remaining with an assist from Lucas Rosendall.

Penn State was unable to rally from behind, as they fell 3-1.

The Nittany Lions will now wait to see if they are selected for the NCAA tournament.

If you’re interested in submitting a Letter to the Editor, click here.

Source Link

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


More in Penn State Nittany Lions