No. 12 Penn State (9-3, 6-3 Big Ten) has drawn No. 14 Kentucky (9-3, 5-3 SEC) in the 2019 Citrus Bowl. The game will be played in Orlando and kickoff at 1 p.m., Jan. 1.
Penn State and Kentucky have played five times since 1975, with the Nittany Lions holding a 3-2 edge in the series. The last meeting between the two programs was in the 1998 Outback Bowl, where LaVar Arrington-led PSU cruised to a 26-14 win over Tim Couch-led UK.
Penn State went 6-3 in the Big Ten during the 2018 regular season, finishing in third place in the East Division behind Ohio State and Michigan. The Lions lost to both of those teams, as well as to Michigan State.
Kentucky went 5-3 in the SEC, finishing tied with Florida for second in the East Division. The Wildcats lost to Texas A&M, Georgia and Tennessee.
Franklin is 3-0 vs. Kentucky, with all three wins coming when he was head coach at Vanderbilt. That included a 22-6 win in 2013, which was Stoops’ first year at UK.
Time: 1 p.m. Eastern
Notable: This marks Penn State’s sixth appearance on ABC this season. The Nittany Lions beat Pitt in Pittsburgh (51-6) Sept. 8, lost to Ohio State at Beaver Stadium (27-26) Sept. 29, beat Indiana in Bloomington (33-28) Oct. 20, beat Wisconsin (22-10) at Beaver Stadium Nov. 10 and beat Maryland (38-3) at Beaver Stadium Nov. 24. … PSU has played on ABC more than any other network through the years, with a 104-73-1 record on the network. … The Lions are 6-9-1 in bowl games on ABC.
CITRUS BOWL HISTORY
- The Nittany Lions have played in the Citrus Bowl five times and sport a 2-3 record in the games. With this trip to Orlando, PSU will join Florida and Georgia for most Citrus Bowl appearances (six each).
- The only bowl Penn State has been to more often than the Citrus is the Fiesta (seven appearances).
- Penn State’s last appearance in the Citrus Bowl was following the 2009 season. The Daryll Clark and the 11th-ranked Lions beat No. 15 LSU 19-17 in the “Mud Bowl.”
- PSU’s first appearance in the Citrus Bowl was following the 1987 season, when it lost to Clemson 35-10.
- The Wildcats have never appeared in the Citrus Bowl.
- UK has been in 17 bowls through the years, including five trips to the Music City Bowl. The Wildcats lost to Northwestern (24-23) in Nashville last year.
- This will be Kentucky’s fourth appearance in a Florida bowl.
Penn State opened as a -4 favorite. That has climbed to as high as -6. The over/under opened at 47.5 points but stood at 48 points as of this writing.
Via Penn State
Via The Citrus Bowl